
NEW YORK — Nearly 24 years after the devastating September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, New York City’s medical examiner’s office has identified the remains of three more victims, offering closure to their families through advancements in DNA technology. The announcement, made on Thursday, marks another step in the ongoing effort to return the remains of those lost in the tragedy to their loved ones.
The identified individuals are Ryan D. Fitzgerald, a 26-year-old currency trader; Barbara A. Keating, a 72-year-old retired nonprofit executive; and a third woman whose identity was withheld at her family’s request. All three were among the nearly 3,000 people killed when al-Qaida hijackers crashed jetliners into the World Trade Center’s twin towers, the Pentagon, and a field in southwest Pennsylvania. Their names have long been etched on the National Sept. 11 Memorial in Lower Manhattan, but until now, their families had no confirmed remains to connect to their memory.
The identifications were made possible through advanced DNA testing of minute bone fragments recovered from the World Trade Center debris over two decades ago. The city’s Office of Chief Medical Examiner has been tirelessly analyzing tens of thousands of such fragments, retesting them as DNA techniques improve to overcome challenges posed by fire, sunlight, and bacterial degradation. “Each new identification testifies to the promise of science and sustained outreach to families despite the passage of time,” said Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jason Graham in a statement. “We continue this work as our way of honoring the lost.”
Barbara Keating was aboard American Airlines Flight 11, a Boston-to-Los Angeles flight that hijackers crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center. The 72-year-old was returning to her home in Palm Springs, California, after spending the summer on Cape Cod. A career social worker, Keating had served as executive director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Middlesex near Boston and remained active in her Roman Catholic church in retirement. Her son, Paul Keating, expressed awe at the medical examiner’s dedication. “It’s just an amazing feat, gesture,” he told the New York Post. He revealed that genetic material from his mother’s hairbrush was matched to DNA samples from relatives, with a fragment of her ATM card being the only other trace of her recovered from the rubble.
Ryan Fitzgerald, a 26-year-old Manhattan resident, was working at a financial firm in the World Trade Center while pursuing a master’s degree in business. Described in obituaries as a driven young man planning a future with his girlfriend, Fitzgerald’s remains were identified through the same meticulous process. Efforts to reach his family for comment were unsuccessful as of Friday.
The third victim’s identity remains private, respecting her family’s wishes, but her inclusion in this announcement underscores the scale of the identification effort. Of the more than 2,700 victims who perished at the World Trade Center, approximately 40% still have no identified remains, leaving many families waiting for answers.
The medical examiner’s office has made steady progress, with identifications added as recently as last year. The process involves not only cutting-edge science but also extraordinary commitment. “We’re talking about people putting in overtime 24 years later, for us,” Paul Keating said, highlighting the emotional weight of the work for families. New York Mayor Eric Adams praised the effort, stating, “We hope the families receiving answers from the Office of Chief Medical Examiner can take solace in the city’s tireless dedication to this mission.”
As technology continues to evolve, the medical examiner’s office remains committed to testing and retesting fragments, ensuring that more families may one day find closure. For now, these three identifications offer a bittersweet moment of connection for those who have waited nearly a quarter-century to lay their loved ones to rest.


