Categories: BusinessMedia

A $34.5 Billion Merger Will Unite Cable Leaders Charter and Cox

The cable giants Charter Communications and Cox Communications said on Friday that they had agreed to merge, a colossal deal that would create one of the biggest TV and internet providers in the United States.

The deal, which values Cox at roughly $34.5 billion, presents a test for President Trump’s antitrust enforcers. While many deal makers had expected the Trump administration to be more permissive than the Biden administration, many on Wall Street have been surprised by early signs that a tough-on-deals stance may persist.

Charter and Cox argued that the deal would help them compete against big rivals, including “larger, national broadband companies” — read: Comcast, Verizon and others — as well as satellite service providers. They are also likely to argue that their cable networks don’t significantly overlap geographically.

Charter and Cox signaled in their news release they were eager to secure the Trump administration’s approval of the deal. The announcement said the merger “puts America first” by returning customer-service jobs from overseas, echoing the president’s campaign language. It also underscored the value of bringing “hyperlocal, unbiased news” produced by Charter’s Spectrum News stations to Cox customers, an apparent gesture toward mollifying the White House, which has been critical of the press.

Unmentioned in the news release was Axios, a scoopy Washington-based media organization owned by Cox Enterprises, the privately held parent of the cable business as well as firms in other industries, like agriculture and cars. The newly formed cable group would not own any national programming, the release said.

Under the terms of the merger, Charter will pay cash and stock, with the combined company set to take on the Cox name and sell consumer services under the Spectrum brand within a year of closing. Cox Enterprises would become the new company’s largest shareholder, with a 23 percent stake. The group expects to cut $500 million in annual costs within a few years of closing the deal, from “typical procurement and overhead savings.”

Charter’s stock rose more than 2 percent in early trading on Friday.

It isn’t the first time the two have discussed a merger: They held talks 12 years ago, and John Malone, a telecom billionaire and major Charter shareholder, had named Cox last fall as one of the company’s potential transaction partners.

Mr. Malone, an influential media mogul, has lately made several moves to reorganize his media holdings. Last year, Charter acquired Liberty Broadband, a telecommunications company partly owned by Mr. Malone. This year, he relinquished his seat on the board of Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns CNN and the Warner Bros. movie studio.

The Cox-Charter deal is one of the biggest takeovers announced this year, along with Google’s planned acquisition of the cybersecurity provider Wiz for $32 billion. And it may show that, at least for some corporate leaders, uncertainty over the economy, driven in part by Mr. Trump’s trade policies, isn’t enough to deter them from major investments and acquisitions.

But antitrust approval is needed, and the Trump administration, which moved early to block deals like Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s $14 billion acquisition of Juniper Networks, has warned corporate America not to assume that all deals will pass muster.

“I don’t have an ideological predisposition against M.&A.,” Andrew Ferguson, the chair of the Federal Trade Commission, said last month. “It doesn’t follow, however, that I think it should just be open season” for deal-making, he added.

Cable executives have tested regulators’ appetite for consolidation before. In 2015, Comcast walked away from an attempt to buy Time Warner Cable amid regulatory pressure from the Obama administration. The next year, the Obama administration approved Charter’s $65.5 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks, but imposed restrictions in the process.

One of Charter’s biggest rivals, Comcast, is pursuing a deal of its own. The cable and broadband giant announced late last year that it was spinning off its cable networks, including MSNBC, into a separate company. That firm, which was named Versant this month, is expected to make its debut this year.

Ryan McNom

Ryan McNom is an accomplished economist, news writer, and author who has been covering the world of finance and markets since 2003. With a sharp focus on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, S&P 500, and Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), Ryan delivers in-depth analysis and timely reports that help readers navigate the ever-changing landscape of the global economy. His expertise lies in breaking down complex market movements and trends into clear, actionable insights.

Recent Posts

Hyatt’s Thomas Pritzker Retires After Being Named in Newly Released Epstein Documents

Thomas Pritzker has announced his retirement as executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels after newly released…

1 day ago

U.S. Companies Resume Price Hikes as Tariffs and Labor Costs Climb

Electronics, appliances and consumer goods are seeing sharper increases as cost pressures mount.

1 day ago

Three Dead, Including Suspect, in Shooting at Rhode Island Youth Hockey Game

Authorities confirm three fatalities and multiple critical injuries following gunfire at a youth sporting event.

1 day ago

US Grants Two Licences Allowing Oil Majors to Restart Operations in Venezuela

The U.S. Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control issued two general licences covering oil and…

2 days ago

Pentagon Flags Alibaba and BYD Over Alleged Chinese Military Links

The move adds tension ahead of expected high-level talks between President Donald Trump and President…

3 days ago

Skeptical Researcher Tests Microwave Device on Himself, Develops Havana Syndrome–Like Symptoms

Working in strict secrecy, a government scientist in Norway built a machine capable of emitting…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.